WDSAHA Summer Institutes
Willie Desjardins South Alberta Hockey Academy Launches new Summer Institute Program to Focus on Volleyball, Hockey and Rodeo Programming
Prairie Rose School Division, in partnership with the Willie Desjardins South Alberta Hockey Academy, is excited to announce three new summer institute options that combine sport with academic learning. The program will take place at the Irvine Agricultural Society rodeo grounds and arena and Irvine School from August 12 – 23, 2019.
- Week 1: August 12 – 16, 2019
- Week 2: August 19 – 23, 2019
Through the institute, high school students will be able to participate in a one or two week credit earning course option, and junior high students, one-week skills options to improve their athletic knowledge in either volleyball, hockey or rodeo.
- In the two-week program, students combine athletic training with a five or 3-credit course offered through Rural Futures Outreach School. Following completion of the two-week athletic component and the course, students will earn both the course credits along with two additional credits for the athletic component.
- In the one-week option program, students will complete two single credit REC modules and receive additional credit for the athletic component, for a total of three credits.
- In the skills sessions, students will participate in five 1 ½ hour sessions (rodeo/volleyball) or 1 ¼ hour sessions (hockey) to build skills and learning in their chosen sport.
“We know that student athletes are looking for flexible learning opportunities that allow them to be successful in both education and sport,” says Assistant Superintendent Reagan Weeks. “Our new outreach school, Rural Futures, allows us to offer high quality training to students who are heavily invested in sport, while also assisting them with achieving their academic potential and goals.”
Registration for the summer institute programs will be offered on a first come, first serve basis. Registration must be completed by April 30, 2019.
For more information, please contact Darren MacMillan at 403-502-7362.